Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fashion Freebie: Best Dressed of SAG Awards

I've made the executive decision that since watching awards shows is free, and since I love reviewing awards show fashion, I will be doing a "Best" and "Worst" dressed of awards shows on this blog!

Sunday was the SAG Awards, and there were some truly awesome looks on the red carpet. Here are my top five:

1. Kyra Sedgwick. Boy, is she is picking great dresses this season. Every now and then a solid black dress is just right, and this was one of those times. I believe this is velvet, and I know I read somewhere that it's vintage. The dramatic neckline is SO COOL with the little points on the ends. I slightly prefer her Golden Globes look, but love this too.
2. Mila Kunis. Mila's slowly sneaking up the Hollywood AND fashion food chains this season, with her undersung turn in Black Swan and better and better dresses. This Alexander McQueen dress is the best yet, and I think almost everyone loves this look (including Michelle Obama, who rocked a similar look at the China state dinner!). What an amazing dress, creative pattern, and perfect color combo for her. A-plus!


3. January Jones. It's easy to look beautiful when you're January Jones, but a lot of time her dresses are kind of "eh" or oddly offputting like that dramatic red one at the GGs. This Carolina Herrera looked simply spectacular. I can totally see Jones as a Herrera gal. She should do an ad campaign for the brand. She's starting to realize that we all want to see her in Betty-Draper-esque styles. Not old fashioned, but looks that show off her classic beauty. This photo doesn't even start to give this dress justice. The gold/black lace just popped and fit her to a T. The hair looks odd here, but onscreen I just looooved the whole thing.


4. Hilary Swank. I know, I know...We've all seen her in dresses just like this before. It's nothing groundbreaking, but I'll say that she knows what works on her very muscular body (unlike Claire Danes, ahem! To be continued, in Worst Dressed tomorrow...) and this is it. The color is flattering, the bejeweled asymmetrical neckline gorgeous, interesting gathering on the fabric that DOESN'T actually have to be carried around like a frontal train (I'm looking at you Amy Adams) and my only problem at all is with the not-quite-right hair. I think I would have preferred a low ponytail/bun. Otherwise, me likey.

5. Nicole Kidman. Ah, Nicole...Best dressed of the night, in my opinion! This dress was incredible, creative, unusual, and very very flattering. I wish I could find a photo of the tremendous back, which you saw on TV when she was presenting. This looks very Chanel-y, but I'm not sure who made it (Nina Ricci, apparently). The sleeves are divine. The floral necklace she is wearing is truly lovely and also quite unusual. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!
Tomorrow: Worst Dressed!
(photo credits: all from Just Jared)





2 comments:

  1. Love the rundown and critique! I feel like Swank is afraid to do anything too masculine and harken back to the boys don't cry era of her career. The long flowing locks idea was a good one from the neck up, but I agree that it doesn't go well with the whole look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're totally right about Boys Don't Cry being a likely influence on her fashion choices!

    ReplyDelete