Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Farmers Market Freebies


One of the best parts of my job is working close to the Union Square Farmers Market. One of the best farmers markets in all of NYC!
Three days a week, I scamper down to Union Square to buy fresh fruit, veggies, cider, cheese and meats.

Farmers markets are great for all freebie lovers, as most stall operators realize the best way to convince buyers to spend is samples, samples, samples. And for some reason, in the fresh air and sunshine I don't get as skeezed out by sampling stations as I otherwise do.

The photo above is the decadent apple sampling table at Red Jacket Orchards, which is in full autumn apple season right now. How can you resist the opportunity to decide which apple you like best. This week, my new favorite is the heirloom "Keepsake" apple!

Another favorite stall, Eve's Cidery, sells authentic French/English/early American style hard cider. This ain't Woodchuck - it's less sweet and much like appley beer. Mmm... Oh, and did I mention they give samples so you can choose your favorite cider?

No comments:

Post a Comment